Nimble and Fast Telephoto
The 300mm f/2.8 design excels for photographing indoor sporting events as well as close-range events, journalism, and even wildlife subjects. The comfortable focal length helps capture full-length shots of distant subjects and the bright f/2.8 maximum aperture enables isolating subjects using shallow depth of field.
Stellar Optics and G Master Design
As part of Sony’s esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve a balance of impressive resolution and sharpness along with distinctive and pleasing bokeh.
- Super ED and ED glass elements minimize axial chromatic aberrations, as well as color fringing, for high clarity and realistic color accuracy.
- Nano AR Coating II has been applied to interior lens surfaces to suppress reflections that cause flare and ghosting.
- G Master optical design also contributes to low spherical aberrations, for high sharpness, as well as a pleasing bokeh quality that is further benefited by a rounded 11-blade diaphragm.
Fast, Precise AF and Reliable OSS
- A dual XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motor System quietly and quickly focuses on fast-moving subjects while shooting at high speeds.
- High-precision XD motor system is also complemented by updated AF algorithms for improved responsiveness and quieter operation, further benefitting sports and wildlife applications.
- Full-time DMF supports manually adjusting focus simply by turning the focusing ring, regardless of the focusing mode, and Linear Response MF provides a natural and responsive focus feeling for more precise manual control.
- Focus range limiter switch and preset focus functions increase focusing efficiency either within a certain constrained range or immediately to a specified focusing point.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake to better enable making sharp shots when working handheld.
- When used on a camera body featuring in-body image stabilization, 5-axis stabilization is available for more robust support.
- Three difference stabilization modes can be used depending on the shooting situation: Mode 1 for general shooting, Mode 2 for panning shooting, and Mode 3 prioritizes accurate framing when photographing and tracking fast and erratically moving subjects.
Impressively Lightweight and Robust Design
- Measuring about 3.2 lb without the tripod mount, this 300mm f/2.8 has a truly lightweight design that suits handheld shooting applications and benefits those carrying multiple lenses and camera setups at an event. Compared to the FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS, this lens is around 50% lighter and 43% smaller.
- The weight is distributed evenly across the 10.4″-long lens body, meaning handling is natural and smooth when shooting handheld or atop a monopod or tripod. This design is based on proven concepts from the FE 400mm f/2.8 and FE 600mm f/4 GM lenses.
- Weather-sealed construction protects against dust, dirt, and moisture.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dirt and fingerprints and is also easier to clean.
- In addition to the weight-saving optical design that limits extra elements, the internal components of the lens also are made from lightweight-yet-durable magnesium alloy.
- Increased mount strength for ensured rigidity that will withstand professional use.
- Four separate focus hold buttons can be customized to adjust or activate a variety of settings, such as Eye AF.
- The rear of the lens features a drop-in filter slot that accepts 40.5mm round filters.
- Rotating tripod collar features ball bearings for smooth movements when shifting between horizontal and vertical working positions.
- Compatible with optional FE 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters.